Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My ophthalmology posting




It was my first and probably my last experienced to get exposed to EYE in great details. Before I stepped into this posting, I heard scary things about this posting. Mobile phones got confiscated and got kicked out from classes. So, I decided to make an excellent first impression for my first day.

But, to tell you the truth, I was probably lack of preparation and finally 7 out of ten, including me were kicked out from the class early in the morning. That was enough, I thought. No more.

Honestly, I was not offended with all these. We deserved it.

So, the first week went on smoothly, with me busy copying all the new inputs.(while copying, I nodded to make my lecturer sensing my attention even my hand was like trembling all over to catch his words).

That was my first time using fundoscope correctly. Look directly to the eyes and make sure you don’t miss anything. So I did. I remembered an incident where I was very keen to examine one of my friend’s eyes, since he just contracted dengue.

I was awestruck, when I found out that he got an haemorrhage in his eyes bilaterally. So, I reported this to my lecturer as to make him rechecked my poor friend. So he did. He even examined his eyes using the slit lamp (a more sophiscated tool to see the eye). He believed me, perhaps or just to be supportive.

After minutes of viewing my friend’s fundus, he did not find anything. He was asking “where was it hairuddin?”. I stammered, “I was not sure, but I could see it moments ago”. I was implying that that damn blood resolving spontaneously. So, I took it as, ‘Hairuddin was wrong!’ and from the corner I could hear a familiar voice said something like “Eyes could not see what brain does not know”

After been humiliating myself to the extreme extent, I decided to keep practicing. I first saw an optic disc on the second or 3rd day of posting. I managed to see Nasrun’s. it was round and pink. I felt like jumping and kissing everybody. Finally I appreciated it.

From that particular moment, I love fundoscope. I wanted to see more and more. In the clinic, in the ward and even my friend’s.

We even have been diagnosed to be a diseased group where 6 out of 10 have an eye disease. We managed to see all marvelous tests and examinations to see eye defect. I was wondered when I saw a test for an amblyopic eye where one of my friend showed that she could not see a 3D image when all of us could. Poor girl. She is not able to watch 3D movie.

No comments: