Friday, August 29, 2008

Skin diseases are horrible

Skin diseases are terrifying the patient and of course the medical students. To patient, it causes debilitating symptoms and it's disfiguring as well, obviously!!!. But for medical student like me, it's a nightmare especially when it comes out in the exam. Not that I am not trying to be sympathetic. I am, really really!!!

I've just read a topic on Bullous pemphigoid. Seriously, the name itself is a Greek to me, let alone the pathogenesis or maybe the treatment (The priority of patient's concern).

I recalled a bedside where a lecturer of mine brought us to a patient who had multiple blisters on her skin. It was intimidating. I had no diagnosis to offer except Herpes infection and Chicken Pox (anyways, chicken pox is caused by herpes virus too).

So, what i did was... trying to avoid my lecturer's stare as that was an acceptable reason for him to ask. Finally, my friend was all he got to be tortured. ROFL!!!

The next bedside, i voluntarily brought the group to a patient of mine with multiple skin lesions. It was all over his body and to tell u the truth, describing it was a REAL ouch! The patient was really nice. He gave me opportunity to examine and re-examine him a few times. Then, when the diagnosing part came, i did pretty well by given few diagnoses which were mindly sound.

Then my lecturer proceeded to management. Gosh! it was the time when he caught me. MUTE NOW!!! (The inner me said)

No comments: