Monday, July 28, 2008

Medical student: Way of Life.


When someone inquired on details of WHY I WANT TO BE A MEDICAL STUDENT/ DOCTOR (In the future InsyaAllah)... I started to fidget and stammer. It's not the first time people do ask me this question. I bet, every single Medical Student have been asked and most of the time, the answer is so darn typical.

"I want to help people" or "I want to help my parents" or "I want to have easy access to job" or maybe the funniest can it go with "Owh.... I love money, and i want to have it all especially when i work in private". I used this once and it seemed less funny to the receiver. Believe me, It's not!

I believe, all people want to help others, want to be easily employed once graduated, in desire to pay tribute to parents and teachers... We are all doing the same. (I do agree that some do want more, more enthusiastic in achieving this).

Tell u wut, when one of my bestest lecturers mentioned this.
Quote: I want to be a doctor since it's one of the hardest and toughest field to be in. Unquote. He practically amazed me by his way of answering. I know, i know... It sounds fantastic.. i bet that he meant it and he wanted to do the best! Not for someone else, not for family but for himself.

So, i have been doing some thinking, months of thinking actually. Then i come out with a very lengthy explanation on why did want to be a medical student at first.

Here we go:

I think, people are destined to live in at least one way of life, AT LEAST. He can be a farmer when he acts like one. He shovels the soil, he plants vegetables, harvests them once matured and so on and so forth. He also has several links with people. The buyers, the people who sell fertilizer and other lots! That's how he lives. He befriends with his wonderful friends who also work as farmers or maybe something else but pertaining to farming!

So, To be in medical line.. i am actually choosing my way of life. Not by planting things or spreading fertilizer but by treating human... comforting them... helping them to go out from hard times and so on and so forth. And believe me, it doesn't make me any better than a farmer. So, i deduce that as human, u play ur own role. U are not allowed to say that u have topped someone else. NEVER!

I cannot even once utter or think that i'm a lot better than an engineer... Not better than a farmer or thrash collector. The job makes us having life, and this life most of the time, determines who would we befriend with... and what would we deal with..

I think to be in medical line, it's just that im choosing my way of life. And why medical line instead of farming? I have 3 reasons for that matter:

1. Opportunity
Thank to Allah for his endless Mercy, i got vast opportunity to be in this business. I got good marks in school so i can move to the next level after another. It seems like opportunity is calling me to become a doctor.

2. Interest
Interest comes second. This also a strong reason but it can be a weak one. Most of the kids, in my years when u popped the question "What do u want to be?" They are going to say "Doctor!!" Most of them. So, virtually most kids have interest of becoming a doctor. But only few manage to pursue their dreams. and i think the explanation behind it, is lack of opportunity. (that's why OPPORTUNITY comes first)

3. Enthusiasm
Enthusiasm is not a prerequisite but it is important to make me stay in this game. Once i loss it, i would succumb to the battle. This business needs enthusiasm and eagerness! Never give up, they say!

No comments: